This programme enables a deeper engagement with the scientific disciplines that underpin the management of captive, productive and companion animals. It will help you to build on previous knowledge and experience of the animal sciences, and further develop your skills in applying scientific principles, enabling the development of key skills for employment within various sectors.
This programme is subject to university validation
- New, state-of-the-art Animal Management Centre including an arid biome, tropical biome and nocturnal room, housing over 1,000 animals.
- Over 130 different animal species including meerkats, coatis, hornbills and red squirrels.
- One of a few educational establishments with a Zoo License, allowing us to share our collection of animals with the wider community.
- Industry experience provides an invaluable opportunity to work in a variety of settings to support your chosen career path.
- Friendly learning environment with small class sizes and excellent student support.
- Merrist Wood College is highly regarded in the animal industry as the leading animal education establishment in Surrey.
- Taught by expert, passionate tutors with industry experience.
- You will have the opportunity to take part in one of our optional residential study tours which currently run in South Africa and Jersey.
Home/EU* Fee for September 2022 entry: £4,000 per year
Please note: Tuition fees are published for the first year of entry only and may increase in subsequent years both for new and continuing students in line with an inflationary amount determined by the Office for Students.
*Fee information for European Union (EU) students: If your course starts on or after the 1st August 2021, you will no longer be eligible for financial support from Student Finance England unless you meet one of the following criteria:
- you are able to benefit from the citizens’ rights agreements
- you are an Irish national living in the UK or Republic of Ireland – benefits of Irish nationals under Common Travel Area guidance arrangement will continue
If you need any further information or guidance, please contact us at HE@activatelearning.ac.uk
What you'll learn
- Principles of genetics, reproduction and breed development
- Principles of immunology and parasitology
- Animal cognition
- Research project
All students are supported with academic development and you will have access to a personal tutor.
Continue your studies with a masters degree in a range of specialist areas or apply for membership of professional bodies including the Zoological Society of London, Institute of Biology or the British Ecological Society and attend further courses. This programme can lead to a wide range of careers within the animal nutrition sector, the agricultural industry, zoological collections, conservation, academic or government research, teaching and other animal-related careers.
Animal Science Foundation Degree (or suitable equivalent subject) with a minimum Pass profile. Plus a minimum of Grade C at GCSE for English, maths and science. A minimum IELTS score of 6 /TOEFL equivalent is required for those for whom English is not their first language.
You are advised to ensure that anti-tetanus protection via a course of injections or booster is up to date prior to the commencement of the course. You should also ensure that you have adequate clothing for outdoor work in inclement weather. Fees shown are per year. Please contact the College if you require further information, on 0800 612 6008.
The academic regulations for this programme can be found on the University’s website.
Applicants should apply through the UCAS (the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service) website. This includes students already at Merrist Wood College. All courses are listed under ‘Guildford College’ on the UCAS website.
How to apply
Applicants should apply online through the Activate Learning website.